If you haven’t played custom songs yet and are just getting started with Beat Saber, we’re excited for you.
You’re about to experience a whole WORLD of new content and the ability to experience “inside” your favorite music like only VR allows! It’s really a magical experience.
The modding experience for computer-based VR (PCVR) and Meta/Oculus Quest standalone VR is a bit different. Be sure to read the right section for your headset!
PC VR: Rift, Index, Vive, WMR, etc.
While mods are no longer required to play basic custom songs, mods can enhance your gameplay experience and unlock some nifty mapping effects. To get started, you’ll just need to download
Installing Mods With Mod Assistant
- First, click here and click on the ModAssistant.exe file to download
It will download a small ModAssistant.exe file that you can place anywhere on your computer for future use and doesn’t require installing.
- When you first launch Mod Assistant, it will also try to automatically locate where you installed your game. If it can’t find it, you will have to manually locate the folder (the Steam or Oculus apps can remind you where you installed it if you do run into this).
- Once you agree, you’ll be able to click on the “Mods” button. All of the “essential mods” will be pre-selected and you can just click on the “Install or Update” button. IMPORTANT: You will need to have run Beat Saber at least once after installing it before installing mods.
- That’s it! You can now launch your game and enjoy all the wonderful mods that the community has built! You can always open the app again later to install more mods. I HIGHLY recommend NOT just installing every mod at first, you’ll be overwhelmed by all the new options and you may run into issues. Instead, take the time to learn about what each mod does. Click on the “Mod Info” button after selecting a mod to read more about it.
Standalone VR: Quest 1 and 2
Custom songs are not natively available on Quest headsets so once you’ve had your fill of fantastic Beat Saber OST and Downloadable Content (DLC) you’ll have a few extra steps ahead of you – namely downgrading your game to the most recent supported version.
- Download and install SideQuest.
- Follow the instructions to downgrade your version of Beat Saber and install BMBF from our friends at QuestModding.com
- Follow the remaining modding instructions in your headset to get up and running!
Getting More Songs
When you launch the game, you’ll now see a “Get More Songs” button in the main menu. This allows you to search for any custom songs, download them, delete them, preview them, etc. If you prefer to install songs outside of VR on your desktop, simply download any song through BEASTSABER with the “One click download” button.
SyncSaber is the newest and easiest way to get songs outside of your game. You now have the option to sync your Bsaber account with the game so that any map that you “Bookmark” from the website will automatically show up in the game. You can also “follow” mappers that you know are good and their songs will magically appear in your game every time they release one.
This is very convenient, because you can add maps for your phone, tablet, work computer, etc. and all the songs will be ready for you to play when you want to play!
Go here to get started!
If you have any issues, join the Beat Saber Mod Discord Group and ask your question in either #pc-help or #quest-help. Be patient – thousands of people around the world just got VR headsets for the holidays and are all looking for the same resources. Happy Block Slicing!