Home Forums Support Game screen constantly locking and requires force close

last updated by  kinsarc0 2 months ago
2 voices
9 replies
  • Author
    kinsarc0
    Participant

Just recently within the past week or so, BS has started completely locking occasionally after hitting continue at the start, sometimes in the song menu, sometimes during the song if I turn too fast. Just the screen locks and jitters and has to be force closed for no reason. This has never happened in the past and I have no issues in any other games or with my rig in general. Any ideas? Uninstalling doesn’t help. Not restarting. Mods or no mods. It’s happening 75 percent of starts and it’s infuriating and I can’t seem to find anyone else really having the same issue. It’s not freezing that fixes itself or stuttering. Just locking up entirely. And it’s not SteamVR crashing as after I close everything is still running smoothly in that regard.

kinsarc0
    Participant

No one can help me with this?

elliotttate
    Keymaster

I’m really sorry, been slammed the last few days. You said that you reinstalled, but didn’t mention if you tried clearing your settings. Try clearing your settings in %AppData%..\LocalLow\Hyperbolic Magnetism (back them up first)

I’ve heard quite a few reports lately of Citrix causing crashes. Do you know if that’s installed? There’s a Citrix clean up utility here: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX137494

Try this first and report back. I’ll give you more things to try after this.

kinsarc0
    Participant

Yeah, I’ve cleared the settings and I don’t have Citrix installed. Clearing the settings doesn’t help. I’ve learned a bit more about this in the meantime. It’s only the menu screens that freeze. The other day I clicked into a song and the menu screen fade got stuck with it half present while the song still loaded and played/animated just fine. So, it’s something going on with the menus. I’m going to try a different port my video card to see if it’s something to do with the video cable, but I don’t think so. Just a very peculiar issue.

kinsarc0
    Participant

Still haven’t been able to fix the issue. Tried Steam in Beta and not. Display cable in a different port. Verifying integrity of game files, etc. I don’t know what’s going on and BS is the only game doing this. I’ve been biding my time in Audica but BS is my favorite way to unwind before bed and it’s really disappointing. I’m hoping the big update on the 14th somehow solves it.

elliotttate
    Keymaster

Can you jump in the #support channel in our BSMG Discord? There’s a bunch more things I can have you try, but haven’t gotten a chance to type them all out yet. Sorry! Someone there should be able to give you some more things to try. If you still need to, I’ll try to get to it soon!

kinsarc0
    Participant

Just wanted to let you know that while I’m still not sure what was wrong, the big new update appears to have fixed everything and I’m back to enjoying the game. 🙂 Thanks anyways!

elliotttate
    Keymaster

Awesome!! Glad you’re back in! Not all mods are updated yet for the new version, but most of the essential ones are.

kinsarc0
    Participant

I spoke too soon. Worked fine upon first boot after the update, but it’s back to hit or miss. The only way I can seemingly get it to work again is a complete uninstall and reinstall, but even that isn’t a sure fire way to fix it. It’s just so frustrating. I’ve went back through to check and I’ve installed nothing new since this started happening and I still seem to be the only one experiencing this, having posted on here, reddit, and the Steam forums. Now it’ll even start locking on the new logo/splash screen they’ve implemented even.

kinsarc0
    Participant

I really don’t know what else to do. I’ve tried everything. Literally everything. Any suggestion anyone has had for any kind of crashing or freezing or stuttering and nothing works. Every once in a while uninstalling and reinstalling will work, but it’s rare. I can hardly ever play the game anymore. Half the time it starts the image freeze during the splash logo they added. I’ve even emailed them direct on their dev page and nothing. No help on the Steam forums either.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.